- This event has passed.
October 21, 2019 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Our next Sacred Conversation will focus on creation care and climate. Our featured speaker will be Rev. Pat Watkins, who formerly served with the UMC’s Board of Global Ministries as “missionary for God’s creation.” Pat has a passion for finding ways to integrate creation care into a broader array of church ministries and understands the critical intersections between poverty, violent conflict, and the environment. Pat is a retired elder currently living in a passive solar home in Pittsboro, N.C.
What is a Sacred Conversation?
The Gospel of Jesus Christ clearly has social consequences and, as followers of Jesus, we need guidance and support to navigate the issues our society faces as faithful followers of Christ. NRUMC chooses to approach these issues by hosting “Sacred Conversations.” This is an opportunity to engage a social issue in a healthy, productive, and community-building way.
So, what does a “Sacred Conversation” look like?
- Speakers that have expertise on a pre-selected topic share from their own knowledge and experience.
- Participants are invited to listen to these presentations and then engage in discussion with fellow participants about what they have heard.
- Participants then are given an opportunity to lift up issues, concerns, and questions with which the main speaker(s) may engage
How we hold these Sacred Conversations is critical. Our airways are inundated with people shouting over each other for entertainment rather than for edification. We will seek guidance for our conversations from methods identified in the book, Crucial Conversations. Participants are also asked to use five key tools to ensure the dialogue is constructive:
- Share only facts and opinions based on facts
- Tell stories from your own experience/ “I” statements
- Ask for the story of others and listen
- Talk tentatively and not in absolutes or generalities
- Encourage testing to find shared meaning and understanding